I love a large, clean middle of my screen. The better to find and stealth kill you, my dear. Unfortunately, I’m playing on a 5 year old laptop. The graphics upgrades to the game have not been friendly to my tired machine.
My solution has been to whittle down my addon usage to only “necessary” additions. By necessary, I really mean what I must have to be able to stand to do what I enjoy in game. As a 10man raider and avid arena player, I need clear space, quick information, and room for many keybindings.
Best change implemented in recent Cata patches for me was definitely moveable target and player frames. This allowed me to live with ditching Pitbull and Grid and move to using only the Blizzard standard raid and party frames. The name of the PvE game in Cataclysm is interrupts in Tier11 content as well as the 4.1 Troll heroics. Being forced to look at the top left corner of my screen for a spellcast in addition to watching my environment for danger and managing my cooldowns/buffs was enough to drive a gnome girl mad.
And so, the list:
1. Dominos - I absolutely cannot stand having the standard, unresizeable large standard bars. I have everything in my arsenal bound to various hotkeys. I’ve been using these abilities for 6 years plus, so I definitely don’t have to stare at them. Dominos is lightweight and extremely customizeable for all your action bar needs.
2. PowerAuras - With PA, you can show buffs & debuffs on your character with various “auras” that you can size, resize and place left, right, up, down or all around your character.
3. FuBar & Plug-ins – I use DurabilityFu & MoneyFu.
4. Omen – Threatmeter. A dead rogue does ZERO dps. Also helpful for realizing when it’s your turn to pop evasion and tank it up.
5. Skada – Damage meter, how you died, % of damage by abilities, etc.
6. Deadly Boss Mods – My favorite raiding boss timer addon since BC. I’ve tried some of the others, but I always end up using my steadfast DBM.
7. GnomishInterruptor - Announces successful interrupts to your party for easy rotation management (or finding out who failed at their blast nova on Nef). Not updated for 4.1 as of Tuesday, unfortunately. :(
All of the above are easy to find by a quick visit to wow.curse.com.